All participants will review consent forms with a research lab member so they understand the procedures of the study, including any risks and benefits, before participating in a study. Participation in research is always voluntary. We're looking for children and adults with varying degrees of hearing levels.
The following may be included in participation:
- Hearing tests
- An assessment of hearing aid function (if hearing aids are worn)
- Measures of attention, memory and language
- Listening and repeating back words and sentences in quiet or background noise.
- Tracking eye movements pupillometry as an indication of mental effort while listening
- Questionnaires regarding listening behavior and/or use of amplification by participants, their parents or teachers
All participants are compensated for their time at a rate of $15/hour.
The lab is supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health, National Institute for Deafness and Communication Disorders (NIDCD) and private donations.