Etiologies of Language and Literacy Laboratory
We study language and literacy development and disorders. We are particularly interested the biological and environmental factors that underlie developmental language disorder and dyslexia.
Language and literacy are key to academic achievement and communication between people. However, there is a lot we do not know about the underlying factors that influence language and literacy development and that cause communication disorders. Our studies aim to fill the gaps by examining the genetic overlap between speech, language, and literacy disorders; studying language and literacy development in multiple disability populations; and exploring the connections between genes, brain, and behavior in these complex conditions. The results of our studies will help us develop biological informed theories of communication development and disorders.
- Cleft and Craniofacial Lab at Arizona State University (Nancy Scherer)
- Virginia Department of Education (Marie Ireland)
- Society for the Scientific Studies of Reading
- Genetics of Language Consortium
- Behavioral Genetics
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association