Back to Home Research Skip Navigation LinksResearch Research Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Research Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

​​​When will I be contacted?

  • The contact information you provide us will be entered into our Research Volunteer Database.
  • Researchers look in the database to find research participants.
  • If your information matches the needs of a study, a staff member will contact you and tell you about the study.

What if I don't want to participate in a research study?

  • You don't have to participate in a study, even if you get a call from a researcher.
  • If you don't want to participate, just tell the researcher.
  • If you no longer not want to be called about research studies, you can ask us to remove your name from our Research Volunteer Database.

If I'm selected for a research study, how often will I participate?

  • Participating in a research study may involve one or more visits.
  • Each visit can range from one to four hours, depending on the study.
  • When you are contacted, the researcher will tell you how many visits the study involves and how long they are. If you don't want to participate, just tell the researcher.

Where do studies take place?

  • Most research studies take place at Boys Town's Downtown Clinic or the adjacent Lied Learning and Technology Center located near 30th and California Streets, Omaha, Nebraska.
  • Some studies take place at Boys Town National Research Hospital near 140th and Pacific Streets, Boys Town, Nebraska.
  • The researcher who calls you will provide directions to their research lab.

What are the benefits of participating in a research study?

  • Participants are compensated for their valuable time.  Most studies pay at least $15 per hour.
  • In some cases, hearing, language and/or balance tests are provided at no cost.
  • Your contribution helps others. By participating in a study, you help us learn more about hearing, hearing aids, cochlear implants, speech and language, balance, cognition, behavior, neuroscience or other areas of interest.

Who can participate in research studies?

  • Each study needs different groups of people. 
  • We have research opportunities for:
    • All ages, from infants through adults.
    • People with hearing, language and emotional/behavioral concerns and those without.
    • People who speak English and those who don't. 

What if I want to enroll someone else as well?

  • We would be happy for you to enroll yourself or your child as a research volunteer! Click here to enroll a child or dependent.
  • You cannot enroll another adult, but they can enroll themselves by following the above link.

How do I withdraw my name if I no longer want to be contacted?

  • You may remove your name from our Research Volunteer Database at any time.
  • Please contact Human Subjects Core at (531) 355–6705 or to withdraw.

What research studies are currently underway?

Who are the researchers?

  • Boys Town National Research Hospital scientists are recognized nationally and internationally for our work in the areas of speech and language, hearing loss, behavior, cognition, and neuroscience.
  • We also mentor new scientists in order to train the next generation of researchers.  

What do you do with your research findings?

  • Our goal is to improve diagnosis and treatment for patients. 
  • Sometimes our findings can change clinical services right away and sometimes they provide a piece of the puzzle that leads to changes in the future.  
  • We also share our findings with other researchers in professional journals and at conferences.
  • Your information remains confidential when we share our information; we do not include your name in our research findings.

If you have additional questions, contact Human Subjects Core at (531) 355-6705 or