Boys Town National Research Hospital offers three 12-month full-time 4th Year AuD Externship positions.
Students have two options for the externship: a clinical only externship or a clinical + research externship. When applying, students will identify which externship they prefer. Students should select one option.
Students accepted into either externship can expect in-depth clinical experiences in diagnostic audiology for pediatrics through adults, adult and pediatric amplification, evoked potentials, vestibular evaluation and treatment, and cochlear implant evaluation and mapping. Students will also gain experience on specialty clinics such as
Cranio-Facial Clinic and
Pediatric Hearing Loss Clinic.
Boys Town National Research Hospital offers many additional (optional) learning opportunities throughout the year:
- Weekly journal groups
- Lectures 1-2 times per month
- Hearing aid, Cochlear Implant, and Auditory Osseointegrated Device manufacturer trainings
Students accepted into the clinical externship will be full-time in the clinic during their externship.
Students accepted into the clinical+research externship will share time between clinic and research functions along the following schedule:
- June-September: One hour spent in research lab/week
- September-December: Full day in research lab/week
- January-May: Two and a half days in research lab/week
Students applying for the clinical+research externship will be involved in a specific research project while working with the investigators currently conducting clinical or translational research related to hearing and balance.
Investigators and Laboratories Available to AuD Students.
Application Information and Other Details:
- Initial contact with Boys Town Hospital should come from a designated university official on behalf of interested students. All negotiations will occur between the university and Boys Town Hospital.
- Following initial contacts, applications will be accepted during the fall of each year for placement in June of the following year.
Applications must be received by September 23, 2023.
- Interviews will be virtual and held the week of 10/9/2023.
- BTNRH is following the Audiology Clinical Externship Network (ACEN) timeline for the application period. Audiology Clinic Eduation Network (audclinicaled.net)
- Applications must include:
Completed BTNRH Externship application
- Letter of interest from the student (not to exceed one page single spaced)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Two letters of recommendation. One of the letters must be from clinical faculty who have directly supervised the student. The second letter may be from academic/research faculty. Letters of recommendation can be sent via email, fax or US mail.
- Transcripts are not required.
- The 4th year externship will be an 11 to 12-month placement beginning June 1st.
- Students will receive a monthly stipend. Students will be expected to have health and liability insurance through their university and will receive no medical, dental or liability benefits from Boys Town Hospital.
- Prior to beginning a placement, a letter of agreement between Boys Town Hospital and the university will be completed.
- Students applying for the clinical+research externship will be involved in a specific research project while working with the investigators currently conducting clinical or translational research related to hearing and balance.
For more information, email Nancy Johnson, Audiology Administrative Assistant,
Information is also available on the
American Academy of Audiology's Hear Careers page.