EIPA Video Conference Series
The EIPA Diagnostic Center is excited to offer four video conference workshops for the 2020-2021 academic year. The workshops are designed for interpreters working in K-12 classroom settings, community interpreters with an interest in educational interpreting or supporting educational interpreters, future interpreters, K-12 interpreter mentors, deaf educators, and individuals supervising or working with educational interpreters.
Interpreting During Language Arts Time
February 6, 2021, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. CT
Dr. Deborah Cates, Ph.D., Sign Language Program Coordinator, Iowa School for the Deaf
Dr. Seuss. Say his name and interpreters will cringe at the thought of interpreting his literary works. Language arts material is notoriously difficult to interpret, but it doesn’t have to be. Language arts lessons, like any other lessons, are driven by specific goals. Awareness of those goals coupled with an understanding of the linguistic needs of the client will enable interpreters to make sound decisions while interpreting language arts materials. In this workshop, interpreters will learn about the process of learning to read at different levels of text. They will learn strategies for interpreting texts based on both instructor goals and client language needs, and will have an opportunity to practice applying these strategies.
Use of Space in Social Studies/Geography
April 10, 2021, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. CT
Paul Glaser, MSE, CDI Educator, Mentor, Coach, Interpreter
Social Studies and Geography are an integral part of the curriculum for students who are Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing. Both subject areas can be challenging for interpreters due to the visual/spatial requirements necessary to ensure message accuracy. This workshop is designed to expand the participants skill’s with lots of opportunities to practice incorporating effective spatial representations in interpretations.
Video Conference Costs:
- This workshop series is offered as a package or as individual workshops.
- The cost is $4,800 for the series of four video conferences for up to five sites.
- Video conferences can be purchased individually at a cost of $1,200 for up to five sites.
- Additional sites can be added for a fee of $175 for each site. Call for pricing if you need to add more than eight additional sites.
- There is an additional connection fee of $225 per zoom site.
- All technical fees will be billed by Boys Town National Research Hospital following each workshop.
Participating States/Location Requirements
Each state will handle all of their own reservations at designated sites in their state. Each site MUST have a qualified/trained person on site during the video conference to do the following:
- Turn on the video conferencing unit, TV/projector and have a person that can handle the connection with the video bridge.
- MUTE and UNMUTE the microphone, adjust the volume on the video conferencing unit.
- Switch cameras, if there is more than one camera in the room.
Mandatory Test Call Dates
Each site MUST participate in a coordinated video zoom call before each scheduled live broadcast. Sites that do not participate may not be allowed to participate on the day of the actual broadcast. Specifics in regard to this test run will be communicated via an email message from Eve Quiah of Boys Town National Research Hospital.
Mandatory test call dates are as follows:
- Thursday, September 10, 2020, 1:00 p.m. CENTRAL TIME
Each participating state will receive handouts in electronic format for dissemination to participants.
For more information on EIPA and upcoming workshop dates, please contact: