Migraine Red Flags
While headaches and
migraines are fairly common in children, they should still be taken seriously. If a child has been experiencing migraines often or for an extended period of time, they should see a doctor.
Some symptoms, in particular, should be seen as red flags and a sign to schedule an appointment with your child's doctor as soon as possible. Such symptoms include:
- Increased headache or migraine severity
- Pain located in a specific area
- Pain that wakes a child during the night or comes on when they wake up
- Neck stiffness
- Weakness in face, arms or legs
- Pain that leads to vomiting
- Recent head trauma
- Inability to stay balanced
- Pain that worsens when child is in a horizontal position
If you are concerned about your child's headaches or migraines or if they experience any of the above symptoms, you can self-refer to Boys Town Pediatric Neurology at (531) 355-7420.