Dr. Abdessalam has been in practice for almost 15 years and is the only pediatric surgeon in the country to have his list of extensive training. “I take care of all pediatric surgical problems but am also able to use my specialized training in cancer to offer the best possible care to any child unfortunate enough to have this disease,” he said. “With over 9000 operations in the last 15 years, I have been humbled to have helped all of those families. I have the greatest job in the world.”
In his first year of residency, Dr. Abdessalam had his first exposure to pediatric surgery and immediately knew it was his true calling. “I realized that I loved the interaction with the children, their innocence, the variety of operations to help fix their problems and the difference I could make for children, parents and families,” he said.
He also had a desire to help cure cancer and realized that the specialized care from a surgical standpoint that was occurring with adults was not happening with children. “Because of that gap in treating childhood cancer,” he said. “I decided to pursue further specialized training after my residency in both surgical oncology (cancer surgery) and pediatric surgery.”
- Medical Degree, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Residency, General Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
- Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, The Ohio State University Hospitals, Columbus, OH
- Fellowship, Critical Care, Columbus Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH
- Fellowship, Pediatric Surgery, Columbus Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH