EIPA distance education courses are designed to enhance and further professional development of educational interpreters working in K-12 classroom settings. These courses are available through video conferencing.
EIPA Distance Course Schedule
April 11, 2015, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. CT
Ethical Practices and Guiding Principles for Educational Interpreters
Presenter, Barbara J. Woodhead, EIPA Rater, RID CI/CT, B.A. English
As employees of an educational system and as members of an educational team, interpreters are expected to adhere to professional standards and guidelines. This training will address best practices for providing effective and appropriate services in the diverse demands of K-12 settings. The workshop will discuss communication strategies when working with various members of the educational team, the importance of understanding the teachers’ goals, the role of the educational interpreter in IEP meetings, guidelines for maintaining professional boundaries with students, strategies for conflict resolution, and the interpreter’s obligation to adhere to state and federal laws.
Video Conference Costs:
This workshop series is being offered as a package or as individual workshops.
- The cost is $4000.00 for the series of four video conferences for up to five sites.
- Video conferences can be purchased individually for a cost of $1000.00 each for up to five sites.
- Additional sites can be added for a fee of $175.00 for each site. (Call for pricing if you need to add more than eight additional sites.)
- There are additional bridging fees of $350 per site.
- All bridging fees will be billed by Boys Town National Research Hospital following each workshop.
Each state will handle all of their own reservations at designated sites in their state. Each site MUST have a qualified/trained person on site during the video conference to do the following:
- Turn on the videoconferencing unit, TV/projector and have a person that can handle the connection with the video bridge
- MUTE and UNMUTE the microphone, adjust the volume on the videoconferencing unit
- Switch cameras, if there is more than one camera in the room
Mandatory test call dates:
Each site MUST participate in a coordinated video bridging test call before each scheduled live broadcast. Sites that do not participate may not be allowed to participate on the day of the actual broadcast. Specifics in regards to this test run will be communicated via an email message from Roger Harpster of Boys Town National Research Hospital.
Mandatory test call dates are as follows:
- Thursday, April 9, 2015 (1 p.m. CENTRAL TIME)
Each participating state will receive:
- Handouts in electronic format for dissemination to participants
For more information on EIPA and upcoming workshop dates, please contact Christine Grassmeyer at (402) 452-5000 or Christine.Grassmeyer@boystown.org.