Camp Abilities is seeking volunteer camp counselors and food service attendants for a
week long residential sports camp for youth who are blind, visually impaired or deaf blind,
July 21 – July 26, 2013. If you are interested in volunteering contact:
Human Resources Generalist
This volunteer position will be responsible for coaching, instructing, giving feedback and assessing campers. Candidates must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and well prepared to provide a quality physical activity experience for campers. Overnight stay in the dormitories of the Iowa School for the Deaf in Council Bluffs, Iowa is required. Counselors will be required to attend a training session July 20 and 21.
- 18 years or older to register.
- Able to interact with youth ages 9 to 19.
- Good communicators with excellent social interaction skills.
- Comfortable in the swimming pool (a high degree of swimming proficiency is not necessary).
- Available to remain at camp for the entire week, July 20-26, unless otherwise agreed upon.
- Pass a background check and drug screen. Current flu vaccination and TB test will be documented.
Food Service Volunteer
This volunteer position will be responsible for assisting campers with setting up, serving and cleaning-up catered food. Candidates must be enthusiastic, motivated and detail-oriented. Food service volunteers will be required to attend a training session July 20 and July 21.
- 18 years or older to volunteer.
- Able to easily interact with youth ages 9 to 19.
- Comfortable serving food to a large group of children and adults.
- Physically able to occasionally lift objects 20-30 lbs.
- Available to attend Camp at lunchtime and suppertime for the entirety of the week, July 20-26, unless otherwise agreed upon.
- All staff must pass a background check and drug screen. Current flu vaccination and TB test will be documented.